Year of Release: 1996
A full seven LPs on from the last "Best Of Indie Top 20" LP, Volume Three was slightly tardy in its arrival and arguably a bit slow to cash in on peak Britpop mania by the time it landed. Public interest in the series was clearly waning at the point this was released, and I suspect it primarily acted as an attempt to compete with the many major label alternative rock compilations which were replete with big names and very few obscurities. If it reminded people of the series existence in the process, that was obviously going to be no bad thing.
Due to the long timespan it covers, there are some interesting choices on here which lead to Pop Will Eat Itself (again) slugging it out with Sleeper, while Inspiral Carpets cross the streams with Echobelly. The fact Oasis don't seem to have a place would suggest that the band had become too massive for Beechwood's wallet.
As a summing up of the heady years leading up to Peak Britpop, it's a fair assessment, with some pleasing track choices. It's also brave enough to acknowledge some of the lesser hitters like Perfume, though perplexingly it doesn't include a single track from Volume 17, probably one of my favourites in the series.
In summary, then, it is what it is, and there's not much new you can say about something that offers nothing we haven't discussed already. As always, I've included links back to the tracks included here so you can read my original information about them.
1. Blur - Chemical World (Food/ EMI) - volume 18
2. The Charlatans - Can't Get Out Of Bed (Beggar's Banquet) - volume 19
3. Sleeper - Inbetweener (Indolent) - volume 21
4. Elastica - Stutter (Deceptive) - volume 18
5. Ash - Uncle Pat (Infectious) - volume 21
6. Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz (Parlophone) - volume 21
7. Echobelly - I Can't Imagine The World Without Me (Fuave) - volume 20
8. Perfume - Lover (Aromasounds) - volume 21
9. Garbage - Subhuman (Mushroom) - volume 22
10. Sugar - Changes (Creation) - volume 16
11. Pop Will Eat Itself - RSVP (Infectious) - volume 18
12. Boo Radleys - Lazarus (Creation) - volume 20
13. Transglobal Underground - Protean (Nation) - volume 20
14. Spiritualized - Let It Flow (Dedicated) - volume 21
15. AC Acoustics - Hand Passes Plenty (Elemental) - volume 21
16. Radiohead - Creep (Parlophone) - volume 19
17. Suede - The Wild Ones (Nude) - volume 21
18. Inspiral Carpets/ Mark E Smith - I Want You (Mute) - volume 20
19. Lush - Hypocrite (4AD) - volume 20
20. Gigolo Aunts - Where I Find My Heaven (Fire) - volume 19